Girton UTD 2 v 1 Fulbourn Institute Res



Games against Fulbourn are like buses… you wait an age for one and then three come along at once. Fresh from their impressive victory against Soham United, GUFC welcomed Fulbourn Institute Reserves to ‘The Rec’ hoping to extend their recent run of good form with a third win in as many games.

There were two changes for GUFC from the side which beat Soham last weekend. David Dean came into the side in place of last week’s man of the match Nat Sandy, who was stuck at work, and Troy Sparkes replaced Tom Moffat who withdrew on the morning of the match with a dicky tummy. Meanwhile, there were a number of new faces for Fulbourn, as well as a 2:45pm request for a pair of spare goalie gloves.

GUFC started the match slowly and were forced to weather an early storm as Fulbourn came flying out of the blocks. However, having steadied the ship, Girton grew into the game and started to knock the ball around well in midfield. Cobi ‘Mason’ Delgado, the summer signing from Spain, was operating well between the lines and was desperately unlucky to see his long range volley cannon back off the bar following an inviting lay-off by Allison.

Soon the pressure told and it was Allison who was once again the creator. GUFC worked the ball well to Allison who slipped the ball to his left to find the unmarked Peachy who had the composure to take a touch, steady himself, and coolly slot the ball into the corner to make it 1-0. The ageing defender has privately let it be known that he feels his best position is in midfield and his first goal of the season will have done plenty to aid his case.

GUFC then saw Darren Anderton Tom Fitt hobble off yet again with only twenty minutes on the clock. The injury forced Beswick into a reshuffle which saw Jamie Bates slot in at RB with Jake Brown moving into CDM. However, the changes did little to halt GUFC’s momentum and they did not have to wait long for the second goal to arrive.

Dean had looked a threat all afternoon, and when he drove into the box midway through the first half the diminutive Fulbourn LB ignored countless calls from his teammates to ‘stay on his feet’, instead opting to launch himself into a sliding challenge which took all of the man and none of the ball. With regular penalty taker Joe Heap currently on loan to Clapham, it was Allison who stepped up to take the spot kick, and the prolific striker gave the keeper the eyes to make it 2-0 to GUFC.

GUFC continued to look dangerous in the remainder of the half. Allison went close with a header and a John Stones-esque run from CB Fallon was unlucky not to result in a goal. Fulbourn, on the other hand, were growing increasingly frustrated and a loose challenge from Brown resulted in a few choice words being exchanged between Brown and Fulbourn’s number 10.

Having worked hard to secure a two-goal lead, GUFC took their foot off the gas in the second half. Tippet and Fred came on for Delgado and Dean as the home side looked to shut up shop. The defence dropped deep and Fulbourn enjoyed plenty of possession without ever really threatening the GUFC defence. Girton’s best chance of the half fell to Featherstone who was sent clear by a lovely dink from veteran midfielder Tippet, but the Fulbourn keeper came racing off his line to make a good save.

Fulbourn had time for a late consolation but the result was never in doubt. The reds go marching on and the victory sees GUFC move up to 9th in the league.

Man of the match: Troy Sparkes

Posted in Girton United FC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

twelve − ten =